The Megaport group of companies, being Megaport Limited and its subsidiaries (including Peering GmbH) (“Megaport”, “we”, “us” or “our”) is committed to protecting the privacy of personal information (being any information relating to an identified or identifiable human being, as defined by applicable personal data and privacy laws) – more specifically, the privacy of each individual whose personal information we control the processing of in the course of our business (Data Subject or you).
As we process personal information in different contexts and for different reasons, this Policy is divided into different Parts, with our relevant controlling entity being specified in each Part (and you can access their contact information here). More specifically:
Part 1 relates to our customers and prospective customers;
Part 2 relates to our recruitment of future employees ;
Part 4 contains general provisions affecting all categories of personal information, setting out where it is stored or shared, how it is protected, and what your rights as a data subject are.
Megaport may update this Policy from time to time by posting the revised version on our website.
PART 1: CUSTOMERS
Data Controller: Thecontroller of customer-related personal information is the Megaport entity providing the services to that customer, alternatively the Megaport entity operational in the relevant region.
Personal Information: The customer-related personal data processed includes:
- customer contact details, including the name, position, email address and phone numbers of customers’ employees or representatives;
- customer credit card details and credit information (to the extent that it relates to any individual);
- each customer’s password and username for accessing our services;
- records of each customer’s use of our services and it’s communications with Megaport; and
- prospective customer contact details, including the name, position, email address and phone number of its employees or representatives.
How we collect it: Personal information related to our customers is collected directly from our customers via their representatives (be it in person, via phone, email, or by actively submitting it via our website/s). Customers are responsible for the completeness and accuracy thereof and for ensuring that the people to whom the information relates (ie customer’s employees or other representatives) have been notified and, where required by law, have consented. If a customer does not provide Megaport with the information requested, our services to that customer may be restricted or prevented. Personal information related to prospective customers is collected from publicly available sources (e.g. prospective customer’s website; LinkedIn) or via participation at conferences, trade shows and other networking events. Megaport may also collect such personal data from our contractors and suppliers; credit reporting bodies and credit providers; other telecommunication and information service providers; and public sources.
Why we need it: Although Megaport’s business is not consumer-facing and our customers are corporate entities, we need such personal information to promote, explain, and sell our services to prospective customers (in accordance with applicable direct marketing laws) and to provide our customers with services and carry out functions incidental thereto, like account management and service support. Doing so falls within Megaport’s legitimate and legally-protected interests. More specifically, we use it for:
- processing a customer’s application, including carrying out checks for credit-worthiness;
- provisioning or connecting each customer’s services;
- dealing with customer enquiries and providing customer support;
- managing each customer’s services, including account management, billing, processing payments and collecting debts;
- investigating complaints and carrying out dispute resolution;
- administering our agreement with each customer;
- product research and development, business planning and staff training;
- communicating with our customers about our services and special promotions relating thereto (in the latter case, provided you have not opted-out of receiving such promotional material, which can be done via the unsubscribe links within those communications or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org);
- communicating with our customers about third party promotions or news, provided we have prior opt-in consent thereto as required by applicable direct marketing laws.
How we share it: To the extent necessary for the aforesaid purposes (or otherwise permitted by law), Megaport may share such personal information within the Megaport group and with other organisations such as:
- our service-related suppliers, resellers and agents;
- our out-sourced service providers who perform functions and services on Megaport’s behalf, such as contact centre services, mailing functions, credit card payment processing, or IT services;
- credit reporting bodies, credit providers or debt collection agencies;
- other telecommunications and information service providers;
- our marketing partners;
- our legal, accounting and financial advisers;
- customer’s other authorised representatives.
How long we keep it: Customer-related personal information is stored only as long as needed to satisfy the above purposes, normally being for so long as customer’s Global Services Agreement is effective and for such period thereafter as required or permitted by law.
PART 2: RECRUITMENT
Data Controller: Thecontroller of personal information processed during recruitment activities is the relevant Megaport entity that will be employing the successful candidate.
Personal Information: The specific personal information collected depends on what a candidate chooses to provide to us. Of course if we don’t receive the specific information we need, we may not be able to assess or proceed with his/her job application further. The types of personal information processed include:
- contact details (such as your name, physical address, email address and phone number);
- employment-related information (such as information within your resume regarding previous work experience, qualifications and referees, as well as your working rights and your police clearance, to the extent permitted under relevant employment laws); and
- records of the candidate’s communications with us (including information gathered during interviews).
Note that we do not require, and candidates should not submit, any sensitive personal data (that is data relating to his/her racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or other beliefs, political or trade union membership, philosophical beliefs, health, sexual orientation or criminal convictions).
How we collect it: We usually collect such personal information when candidates interact directly with us. For example, when candidates provide information to us in person, phone or email, or when they provide their details via our recruitment websites (including via job portals like Seek or LinkedIn). We may also collect information about candidates indirectly from our recruitment agencies, candidates’ referees, and from other public sources (eg LinkedIn profile).
Why we need it: Megaport will only process a candidate’s personal information to the extent necessary for the job application process and/or their subsequent employment with Megaport, as required by our legitimate legally-protected interests or applicable laws. More specifically, your personal information is used to assess and process your job application; to make a decision about whether to employ you; to deal with your queries and defend against potential claims in relation to the recruitment process; to consider you for future job opportunities with us (if you have consented to us retaining your details for such purpose); and, if you are hired, to make decisions about your employment with us.
How we share it: For the aforesaid purposes and to the extent permitted by law, we may share such personal information within the Megaport group of companies, as well as with recruitment agencies and other third parties we engage to provide recruitment services on our behalf; your referees; third parties who conduct background and police checks; and the institutions that issued your qualifications.
How long we keep it: Megaport deletes a candidate’s personal information after the application process is finished unless you are subsequently employed by Megaport or have consented to your data being retained for future employment offers, or applicable laws entitle or require Megaport to retain the information for longer (for example, to defend against potential legal claims related to the recruitment process).
PART 3: VISITORS TO THE MEGAPORT WEBSITES
This section applies to all visitors to the website www.megaport.com or any other Megaport website properties, including portal.megaport.com (Websites). Where you are or represent a customer, Part 1 will apply in addition to this Part 3. Where you apply for a job with Megaport, Part 2 will apply in addition to this Part 3.
Data Controller: Megaport (Services) Pty Limited operates the Websites, but does so for the relevant Megaport entity servicing the customer you represent (if applicable) or the region in which you are based, such Megaport entity being the relevant data controller under this Part 3.
Personal Information: We may collect and process the following personal data about you via the Websites:
- your name, address, e-mail address, phone number and possibly your financial and credit card information (“Submitted Data”);
- technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform (“Technical Data”); and
- information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time); products you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page (“Behavioral Data”).
How we collect it:
- Submitted Data is actively provided by you directly when you fill in forms on the Website or correspond with us via online chat, e-mail or otherwise (eg the phone number used to contact our customer service). This includes information you provide when you register with the Website, subscribe to our Services and when you report a problem with the Website.
- Technical Data and Behavioural Data is automatically collected during each of your visits to the Website. This is enabled by various common tracking technologies like cookies (small files stored on an individual’s browser or computer hard drive to optimize the individual’s interaction with a website) and web beacons (tiny graphics files containing unique identifiers to recognize someone as having received an email or visited our website before). Some cookies are purely technical and necessary for the Website to work properly and others track user behavior in an aggregated anonymous fashion. However, where cookies are designed to track your behavior in a personally identifiable manner, they will only be deployed on your device if you consent thereto during your first visit to our Website.. You can find more information about the individual cookies, which data is processed by them, how we use them and why, and how to give or withdraw your consent to them here.
Why we need it: We use such personal information to:
- enable you to use the Website and to provide our services (including by sending you information you may have specifically requested as well as other promotional communications if you have opted-in thereto);
- administer the Website and for internal operations (including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes);
- improve the Website to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and your computer (e.g. logging page visits indicates missing pages or other web server problems);
- keep the Website safe and secure (e.g. authentication cookies make sure you are the same person over a given “session” time); and
- deliver relevant advertising to you and to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others.
How we share it: To the extent required for the aforesaid purposes, we may share such personal information within the Megaport group of companies and with suppliers and sub-contractors we use for our Websites, services and marketing activity. Note specifically:
- The cookies on our Website include those of our third party service providers (e.g. Google Analytics or Intercom cookie) and possibly other third parties over which we have no control (such advertising networks and providers of external services like web traffic analysis services). These cookies are likely to be analytical/performance cookies or targeting cookies.
- Third party advertisers, advertising networks, analytics- and search engine providers will only receive pseudonymized technical information from us (e.g. IP addresses) unless directly identifying information is needed to process a specific request of yours (including any services) or you otherwise give your prior consent.
How long we keep it: Megaport retains such personal information only to the extent required for the above purposes and as required or permitted by law.
PART 4: GENERAL
Where personal information is stored and processed: Megaport operates in various countries globally and the organisations that Megaport may share personal information with may be located in countries both within and outside of the European Union (“EU”), including the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong, the Philippines, Japan and the United Kingdom. Note that the personal data protection and privacy laws in certain non-EU countries may not be as protective of personal data as they are within the EU and may thus expose you to certain risks (such as a lower standard of protection applying to the processing of your personal information, or your having fewer rights to access your personal information, or there not being a regulatory body dedicated to personal data protection in that country that you can approach). Megaport will take all reasonable steps to ensure that recipients in such countries comply with a level of data protection that is considered to be adequate from the perspective of EU data protection laws (such as being covered by the EU-US Privacy Shield or standard contractual clauses approved by the European Commission), but you nevertheless acknowledge the aforesaid potential risks to your data being processed in such countries.
How else we may share personal information: Megaport may further disclose personal information as follows:
- Mergers & Acquisitions: to a specific third party and its advisors in order to facilitate an acquisition or sale of assets between such third party and Megaport. This is most likely to occur in relation to a purchase (or potential purchase) by such third party of any Megaport entity or its business or assets (as customer-related data and employee-related data may be part of the assets so sold);
- Regulatory & Contractual Compliance: To government, law enforcement & regulatory bodies where required to comply with our legal obligations or to enforce our agreements, as well as to other companies and organisations who assist us with fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
How we protect personal information: Megaport stores personal information electronically and sometimes in hard copy form, treating it all as confidential. We take a range of measures to protect the security of personal information, including by storing electronic information in password-protected servers that are in restricted and monitored areas. We do not store full credit card details on our own systems, but instead makes use of a PCI DSS-compliant payment service provider.
How to access and correct your personal information: Megaport takes all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we hold is accurate, complete and up-to-date. Customer representatives can access and correct most of their personal information (such as their contact details) directly via the customer’s Megaportal account. Otherwise, your personal information can be accessed and corrected by contacting Megaport at email@example.com.
Your other rights: You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. You have the right to request information about the personal data of yours we store, to demand the correction of incorrect data, to demand its deletion or the blocking or restriction of the processing thereof, and to data portability in certain situations.You may also be entitled to object to the processing of your personal data, provided the reason for the objection lies in your special situation and provided it is data we process to protect one of our protectable legitimate interests. In some territories (eg France), you may be entitled to direct how you wish your personal data to be used after your death. If our personal data processing is based on your consent, you may at any time freely withdraw your consent to the future processing thereof. You can exercise such rights at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also lodge a complaint with your local data protection supervisory authority (see for eg: https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en)
Links to third party websites: Our Websites may contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Contact Megaport: If you have an enquiry regarding
privacy, or you wish to raise a complaint, please contact email@example.com.
 E.G. by Art. 4 (1) of the GDPR.
 E.G. under Art. 6 para 1 lit f) of the GDPR
 E.G. under Art. 6 para 1 lit c) of the GDPR.
 E.G. under Art. 15 of the GDPR.
 E.G. under Art. 16 of the GDPR.
 E.G. under Art. 17 of the GDPR.
 E.G. under Art. 18 of the GDPR.
 E.G. under Art 20 of the GDPR
 E.G. under Art. 21 of the GDPR.